StephanieJRothwell

Steph's Books

I love and have always loved reading. I usually read one at once but at times I will read two. I have a book end which states 'Caution! Bookworms bite when disturbed.

Crooked Heart

Crooked Heart: A Novel - Lissa Evans

Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans is a fantastic book. I had it in my mind that it was a crime novel, and although there is criminal activity the main thread throughout the novel is relationship building. Vee takes in an evacuee, Noel, at the onset of WW2. She is drowning in debt and is desperate for a break. At first she comes across as a hard woman but as you get to know her more you understand what has made her the way she is.
Noel is just brilliant, a very clever 10 year old who has no family. His godmother, a suffragette, only really features in the first chapter but we have glimpses of her within his memories.
I loved reading the letters that Flora, Vee's mother, sends to various people. I could have read these as a novel on their own. Parts of the novel were quite scary and some of the people featured not very nice. However the parts of the novel that I loved were the caring side of people during a terrible war. And how they had to adapt and cope.
Very highly recommended.

Thanks to the publisher and the author for the copy via NetGalley