StephanieJRothwell

Steph's Books

I love and have always loved reading. I usually read one at once but at times I will read two. I have a book end which states 'Caution! Bookworms bite when disturbed.

Black Wood

Black Wood - S.J.I. Holliday

Black Wood is one book that I've been looking forward to reading for most of last year. Yes it's a crime novel but there is so much more to it. Jo and Claire had a traumatic experience in their childhood that left Claire paralysed and Jo struggling to cope with the memories.
Whilst Clare copes the best way she can, choosing not to remember it is Jo who seems to suffer more. Very much a loner for all of her life, she manages to alienate most people around her. Though not the easiest character to like I had quite a bit of sympathy for her. Rejected by her father and ridiculed by school friends she was always going to be an outsider.
No huge shocks but there were a few surprises along the way.
I enjoyed the setting of the novel in the fictional town of Banktoun, it was refreshing to read about a police investigation set in a small town rather than a city, and I adored Davey Gray.
I'm really looking forward to reading more of Susi's novels or short stories in the future.

With thanks to Susi and the publisher for the copy of the novel.