StephanieJRothwell

Steph's Books

I love and have always loved reading. I usually read one at once but at times I will read two. I have a book end which states 'Caution! Bookworms bite when disturbed.

Viral

Viral - Helen  Fitzgerald

I first became aware of Viral when the opening line went 'viral' on social media. Reminiscent of headlines in the UK press a few years ago it tells a tale of how an all girls holiday to Magaluf was ruined by alcohol and drugs. And other people.
Su had never wanted to go on the holiday but was forced into it. She was the sensible one who would be able to make Leah behave. She gave in hoping that that the holiday would help repair the relationship, they had been very close when they were younger but now she felt that Leah resented her. At first she quite enjoyed it, amazed by the length of time it took to get ready for the pool and getting to know Leah's friends.
Su's life changed completely after the video was released on the Internet. She goes into hiding and tries to accept what has happened and the consequences on her life. She decides to try and make contact with her birth mother, something she had thought about doing before. Meanwhile Leah is trying to repair the damage and find her, along with their monster of a mother Ruth.
Whilst I liked and a had a lot of sympathy for Su, I found Leah easier to like. I loved her humour and the way that she handled Ruth, a woman it is impossible to say anything nice about.
I found it to be quite a refreshing read. It was sad at times but there was also humour. It's a horrifying storyline, but it felt very real. It's one that seems to rear its ugly head every summer, watching how a handful of teenagers behave on holiday and it ends up being headline news.